You might only realize how large your pores are when you take a really close look at your face – but large pores can make a difference to how your skin looks overall. They can make skin look lifeless and unhealthy, and they can even contribute to making you look older than you are. What causes large pores, and, perhaps more importantly, what can you do about them?
Why Are My Pores Large?
Having large pores is actually a very common problem, and there could be a few reasons why a person’s pores are so large:
- Sun damage. Too much sun is bad for skin for so many reasons. It can lead to blemishes, wrinkles, and large pores, too.
- Genetics. Unfortunately, some people inherit large pores from their parents.
- Years of improper skin care. If you have gone for years without really taking care of your skin, it can have many negative effects, including allowing dead skin cells to buildup in pores and stretch them out.
- Aging. Like genetics, you can’t control aging – but it is another thing that can contribute to large pores. Skin loses elasticity as we age, which makes skin look stretched out and saggy and can increase pore size.
- Oily skin. There are sebaceous glands in pores that make oil; if too much oil is made by these glands it can enlarge pores.
What Can Be Done About Large Pores?
There are steps you can take at home to keep skin looking healthy and beautiful and to reduce pore size: use high-quality skincare products, wash your face regularly, wear sunscreen every time you go outside, and moisturize your skin at least twice a day.
If at-home treatments don’t seem to help, you may benefit from a professional treatment such as microneedling. You may not even realize how large pores are affecting how your skin looks – but you’ll see the difference after a microneedling treatment to improve the look of these pores! To find out if microneedling is the right treatment for your skin problems, contact Alfonso Barrera Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery for a consultation. Call the Houston office at (713) 468-5200 today!