If you are considering a cosmetic procedure, you may be thinking of a facelift or maybe even a nose job. You might not even realize there is such a thing as eyelid surgery – but there is, and you may be surprised at what a difference it can make to your appearance!
The Low Down on Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid surgery is also known as “blepharoplasty.” It can be done for not only cosmetic reasons but also for medical reasons. Here are some other things you should know:
1. It can be performed on the lower eyelids, the upper eyelids, or both. It can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and get rid of those bags under the eyes, by removing loose and sagging skin and excess fat.
2. The procedure typically takes less than 2 hours, is done under IV sedation and local anesthesia, and is an out-patient surgery with very low risk of problems.
3. It can be combined with other procedures, such as a forehead lift or a filler, for maximum effect.
4. Eyelid surgery isn’t just done for cosmetic reasons. It is also done to remove excess skin around the eyes that is causing problems with how the eyelids function. This excess skin can also reduce the patient’s field of vision, which can be not only annoying but potentially dangerous.
5. Patients typically can return to work within a few days after the surgery, although your vision may be blurry and you may be sensitive to light. You should avoid strenuous activity for about a week.
6. Your doctor will give you specific instructions to follow after the procedure. Ice packs can help with any bruising or swelling. You should sleep with your head elevated, avoid rubbing your eyes, avoid smoking and being around those who do, and make sure to protect your eyes from wind and sun when you go outside by wearing sunglasses.
Blepharoplasty can make a dramatic difference – getting rid of wrinkles and puffiness around the eyes can make you look younger and more energetic. Contact the office of Dr. Alfonso Barrera in Houston for a blepharoplasty consultation. Call (713) 468-5200 today!