If you follow the aesthetic world at all, there are two big names in dermal fillers, Juvéderm® and Restylane®. Both are made from hyaluronic acid, which naturally occurs in the body and is responsible for hydrating and plumping the skin. Restylane® was actually the first dermal filler approved by the FDA for use in the United States way back in 2006.
Fourteen years later, Restylane® is still around and very popular, but the line has been expanded from the original single filler to a variety of fillers targeting different areas of the face, and even the backs of the hands. Dr. Barrera offers the complete Restylane® line. Here are the differences between the various Restylane products.
The Restylane line
The Restylane® line has continued to expand, with different products targeted to different specific issues with facial volume.
- Restylane® — This was the first hyaluronic acid dermal filler and is still very popular across the globe. It targets marionette lines, nasolabial folds, and other wrinkles by adding volume beneath the wrinkle or crease and pushing the surface skin upward. Its results last from 6-9 months.
- Restylane-L® — Restylane-L is basically Restylane® with Lidocaine added for comfort.
- Restylane® Silk — Restylane® Silk is an alternative to Juvéderm Volbella. It is used for subtle lip enhancement and for the correction of vertical lip lines. It provides results for around six months.
- Restylane® Lyft — Restylane® Lyft adds volume to the cheeks and corrects smile lines. It is an alternative to Juvéderm® Results last from one year to 18 months.
- Restylane® Refyne — Restylane® Refyne was approved by the FDA in December 2016. This new addition to the Restylane® line (along with Defyne, see below) is used to correct smile (marionette) lines and nasolabial folds. Refyne is specifically formulated to treat mild to moderate lines and wrinkles. Galderma has cross-linked the gel in Restylane® Refyne and Defyne to help support the patient’s natural expressions — for real-life results that help maintain natural movement when smiling, frowning, or otherwise moving your mouth.
- Restylane® Defyne – Approved along with Refyne, Defyne also specifically targets nasolabial folds and marionette lines. The difference is that Defyne is designed for use on moderate to severe creases and lines. Both Refyne and Defyne provide results that last up to one year.
All of us have some of those issues described above. The question is: Do you want Dr. Barrera to do something about them by injecting one of the Restylane products? If so, give us a call at (713) 468-5200 to schedule your session.