Our hair is part of what makes us who we are. It defines our look, gives us confidence, and allows us to feel good. Hair loss affects millions of men and women in America, and many people are looking for a solution. Dr. Alphonso Barrera now offers PRP therapy for patients looking to help their hair loss.
What Is PRP Hair Loss Restoration?
PRP stands for platelet-rich plasma, which is what makes up a large percentage of our blood. this nutrient-rich and dense fluid is what helps our cells regenerate our cells. Platelets are super rich and robust cells that help contain growth factors, both are involved in certain cellular processes. This platelet-rich plasma has a longstanding history in the medical field when used to help tissue healing and regeneration, which makes it perfect for therapy to help hair loss. The primary purpose of using PRP in hair restoration is to stimulate inactive or newly implanted hair follicles into an active growth phase. Inside the Platelets are many intracellular structures such as glycogen, lysosomes and alpha granules. These granules within the PRP contain clotting and growth factors that are eventually released during the healing and repair process.
PRP specific cells that cause hair growth include:
- Platelet Derived Growth Factor (PDGF) – promotes blood vessel growth, cell replication, skin formation;
- Transforming Growth-Factor-Beta (TGF-b) – promotes growth of matrix between cells, bone metabolism;
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) – promotes blood vessel formation;
- Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF) – Promotes cell growth and differentiation, blood vessel formation, collagen formation;
- Fibroblast Growth Factor-2 (FGF-2) – promotes growth of specialized cells and blood vessel formation, and,
- Insulin Like Growth Factor (IGF) – a regulator of normal physiology in nearly every type of cell in the body
PRP treatment Implemented to men and women who suffer from various stages of hair loss which include:
- Male and Female Pattern Alopecia
- Alopecia Areata
- Prevention of Hair Loss
- Very Safe
- 45 min to 1 hour in office procedure
Length of PRP injections For Hair Restorations
At the beginning of your treatment, we will begin by drawing a small amount of blood which will take less than a minute. Next, we will apply topical numbing medication on the top of your scalp, this process should only take a few minutes. Finally, we will begin meticulous injections which will be positioned every half-inch across the area of your scalp where the thinning is taking place. This entire process can take less than a half hour.
How Long Until I Will See Results?
The Most important part of PRP treatment is being consistent with the procedures. We have patients come in every few months and within the first three, our patients begin to see results. After the first couple of initial treatments, the injections will continue to repeat every three to six months based on how the patient is responding to the procedures. Over time an increase in thickness and length shall occur.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Using PRP For Hair Restoration?
Extreme risks or complications from PRP are extremely low. Some patients do feel certain side effects, which can include itching and swelling, a dry scalp or discomfort with injection sites. Hair loss doesn’t have to be a normal part of aging anymore, and we highly encourage you to give us a call and schedule a consultation.