To download Dr. Barrera’s full CV click here.
Alfonso Barrera, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Clinical Assistant Professor of Plastic Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine
- Dr. Barrera is President Elect of the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons.
- He has been in private practice as a plastic surgeon in Houston since 1985 and is dedicated to the highest standards of excellence in plastic surgery and hair transplantation.
- Dr. Barrera is certified by both the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery.
- Dr. Barrera is a former president of the Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons.
- He served as chairman of the Plastic Surgery Section-Department of Surgery at Memorial Hospital, Memorial City in Houston from 2004-2008 and also as a member of the Executive Committee of Memorial Herman – Memorial City Hospital 2004-2008.
- Additionally Dr. Barrera was invited to served on the Executive Committee of The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery for several years.
- Dr. Barrera has written extensively in national scientific journals in plastic surgery, and by invitation has authored multiple chapters in textbooks in plastic surgery and authored a textbook on hair transplantation.
- He is frequently invited as a speaker to plastic surgery symposiums and meetings nationally and internationally.
- Dr. Barrera has been a contributor and innovator in the advancement of plastic surgery particularly in hair transplantation and facelift surgery.
- Dr. Barrera performs most of his surgeries at his own “state of the art” Accredited Ambulatory Surgical Facility, within his office (AAAASF).
- Dr. Barrera performs all his aesthetic surgeries under IV sedation and local anesthesia or Total Intravenous Anesthesia (TIVA), without the need for the use of general anesthesia gases. This provides the patient with added safety and comfort, as well as a faster recovery. Generally, his patients are able to go home the same day with minimal discomfort.
- Dr. Barrera did 7 years of post-graduate surgical training in surgery and otolaryngology – head and neck surgery, as well as plastic surgery in some of the most prestigious training programs in the nation including Methodist Hospital in Dallas, TX (1978-1980), Harvard Medical School Teaching Hospitals in Boston, MA (1980-1983), and St. Joseph Hospital in Houston, TX (1983-1985).
- Many of Dr. Barrera’s patients travel to Houston from other states or from abroad, including Canada, Latin America, Europe, Australia, the Middle East, Asia, India, Turkey, Korea, etc. All of these patients are referred by word of mouth from plastic surgery colleagues or former patients.
- Dr. Barrera has participated in numerous charity missions to Latin America to perform surgery on indigent children with birth defects such as cleft lip and cleft palate.
- Dr. Barrera is affiliated with the following professional societies: Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, American Board of Plastic Surgery, American Board of Otolaryngology